In Kannuu’s opinion, the primary function of a smart TV — beyond their plethora of ‘gee-whiz’ features — is to help consumers quickly and easily find what they want to watch across all channels and streaming services.
Alas, siloed services/channels and tortuous onscreen keyboard-based search is thwarting the primary purpose of smart TV.
Fear not. Kannuu is working mightily to rectify this!
So go ahead and join the masses, buy that smart TV today — Kannuu will be there soon enough to provide the first-rate search and discovery experience you deserve!
In the meantime, check out these smart TV stats:
- Connected TV penetration in North America and Western Europe will surge from just over 10 percent in 2011 to over 50 percent by 2017 (ABI)
- Internet-connected TVs or smart TVs will see strong growth in 2013, with unit sales reaching 12.3 million, up from 9.2 million in 2012. (CEA)
- In 2013, tens of millions of connected TV sets will sell globally, and the installed base of TV sets with integrated connectivity should exceed 100 million. (Delliotte)
- A fifth of all TV sets will be connected to the Internet by 2016. (Digital TV Research)
- 18% of Americans own a smart TV. (Stanley Morgan)
- Demand for Internet-connected TV is growing from 9 million shipments in 2011 to 24.7 million in 2014. (NPD DisplaySearch)
- A third of US homes will have a smart TV by year-end 2015. ( Forreter)
- Nearly 85 per cent of all flat-panel TVs produced in 2016 will be smart TVs. Worldwide unit production of flat-panel smart TVs will grow from 69 million in 2012 to 198 million in 2016. Worldwide unit production of smart TVs in 2013 is expected to reach 108 million. (Gartner)
- Over 30 percent of consumers in the United States who plan to purchase a TV set in the next 12 months want an Internet-connected TV or Smart TV. (IMS Research)
- 54 million Smart TV sets will be sold world-wide in 2012, growing to more than 220 million units per year in 2017. (Informa)
- By 2016, smart TV unit shipment is expected to reach 153.2 million units at a CAGR of 19%. (MarketsandMarkets)
- The value of the overall smart TV market will reach $265 billion by 2016, growing at a compound rate of 17%. (MarketsandMarkets)
- The installed base of Internet-enabled TVs will grow 70 percent each year to reach over 500 million devices by 2015. (McKinsey & Company)
- The number of connected TV households will reach critical mass in North America and Western Europe by 2013 (Parks Associates)
- By the end of 2012, 159 million homes worldwide will have at least one smart TV. This number will grow more than threefold by 2017 to 510 million households (HH)
- More than 220 million Smart TV sets will be sold worldwide in 2017, up from the 54 million that were estimated to have been sold during 2012. 31% of households worldwide will own at least one Smart TV by 2017, with household penetration much higher in North America (63%) and Western Europe (64%) (Informa)
- By the end of 2012, the global installed base of smart TVs had reached 104 million. In leading markets like the US household penetration now exceeds 20 percent. (Strategy Analytics)
- Global connected TV shipments will top 118 million by 2014 (Display Search) [/expand]